Have you ever wondered about strategies you can use to build strong relationships with your supervisor? Have you thought about ways of avoiding conflicts or managing them? If that is the case, this is the workshop for you! We will be describing important strategies for developing strong working relationships that support progress through your graduate program and for addressing and managing conflict. We will also share some scenarios for small group work that are derived from actual supervisor-student situations. There will be ample time for discussion.
- Identify key strategies to build effective relationships with supervisors
- Consider factors that potentially contribute to trust and reciprocity in relationships with supervisors
- Focus on making timely progress through your program and meeting milestones
- Consider factors that can disrupt effective supervisory relationships
- Appreciate the importance of clear boundaries in supervisory relationships
- Problem-solve ways to manage conflict
- Find sources of assistance in the event of intractable conflict.
Dr. Anne Murphy is Acting Associate Dean (2018-9), Faculty and Program Development, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, where she is responsible for graduate supervision issues. She is also a faculty member in the Department of Asian Studies (Faculty of Arts), and Co-Director of the Centre for India and South Asia Research. She strives to engage in and promote supervisory practice at UBC that is sensitive to the needs of students, promotes personal and scholarly.exchange and dialogue, and which furthers scholarly excellence.
Dr. Brianne Howard is the Director, Academic Support, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Brianne brings a wealth of experience in dealing with complex situations that arise in graduate studies and acts as a liaison between graduate students, faculty members and programs. Brianne comes from a cultural studies background and with a focus on issues of accessibility and removing barriers to succes
Registration opens on Thursday, January 3rd at 12 pm.
For more information, please visit: grad.ubc.ca/about-us/events/17186-building-effective-supervisory-relationships